Saturday, July 07, 2007

Overflowing

It's only 830pm, and I'm ready to get into bed already! Most of the fam has been around for the day, which, of course, is fabulous! We all spent the morning playing with Madi, watching Backyardigans, playing with beads, and splashing the water outside.

Mom, Dad, Marty, Brett, and I took a quick trip down the road to see the lake nearby. In case you are on another planet and haven't heard about the flooding in Texas, I'll refresh your memory. There's been tons of rain and it's flooding in all different parts of Texas! The picture is of a home right on the lake.

For the afternoon, we got all the boxes from the attic that were labeled "Merritt". My parents have a rule that once their children buy their first home, any and all "valuables" should take up space in the child's attic (or basement in our case) and not their attic. We had great fun reading through my poetry, seeing my ACT scores (I'm practically a genius, by the way), fishing through high school yearbooks, reminiscing with college photos, and setting up the Barbie kitchen. I narrowed the field from about 16 boxes to 7, thankfully! It was fun to go through and see all this stuff I had collected. I wore around the school tie I wore from 4th-12th grade just for kicks while I was sorting.

In the end, I kept (among other things) just a few Barbies who still had decent hair and movement, and, of course, I'm going to keep all of my Pooh Bears. What would you be keeping of your childhood toys?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My MIL has the same rule about passing on "stuff" when you move into your own house. My husband has at least 17 boxes of GI Joes still in their original boxes and who knows how many baseball cards that he insists on keeping! Luckily I'm not too much of a packrat so he can have my attic space.

Anonymous said...

I'm all about my Fisher Price Little People school and school bus...but I think my parents are going to want to keep it for the grandkids to play with at THEIR house!

merritt said...

Courtney-my younger bro also has tons of GI Joe stuff up in the attic! GI JOE, American Hero!

LP-I don't remember playing with Little People. Were you a Barbie girl?

Anonymous said...

Little People were more of a toddler-age thing, and I did move on to Barbies after that. I had full communities of them and would turn our bonus room into Barbie's Dream NEIGHBORHOOD, complete with houses, cars, the barn, and a rockstar stage (Barbie used it, even though it really belonged to Jem and the Holograms).

Anonymous said...

I still take out my G.I. Joes, Voltron Transformers, and Train Pillow each day while I watch tv with a PB&J without the crust and cut into small squares. I'm in my mid-20s, married, living in Texas, as well, and work hard at not letting my wife find out what I do while she's shopping. She would laugh me out'ta Dodge.

merritt said...

LP-a neighborhood? Wow! Mart and I used to play GI Joes and Barbies back when he had all the little GI Joes. They would get married and everything.

Juan-you might get a long with my husband, as he had similar interests as a kid.