Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Your eyes are weird

Today I substituted for a math teacher. I had no clue what I was doing and she's going to have to reteach most of her lessons. Oops. (Can she really expect me to know how to teach to graph square root functions?!?!) I figure it's okay, though, since this was the kids' last day in class before Spring Break; she would have had to reteach it all over again once they come back, right?

So now I must tell you about the strange question I was asked. Most of you know that I have "issues" with my left eye (being that I can't see out of it!). People who don't know me notice the difference in my pupils and sometimes ask me questions about it (see this post, enlarge the pic, and you'll notice). Usually it comes out as "You're eyes are different. Why?" and the oh-so-subtle, "What's wrong with your eyes?". I've gotten used to it.

But today, one of the students asked his question a little differently, and it made me laugh. He came up and asked me, "Have you been hit hard on the head lately?"! I knew where this must be leading, but innocently answer "No" and asked why he asked that. He replied that my eyes were weird and he knew that people who get hit really hard on the head sometimes have problems like me! I told him he was very observant to have noticed. Don't you just love kids?!

2 comments:

kflythe said...

I also have 2 different colored eyes, although mine aren't quite as noticeable as yours, Merritt. When I was younger, a friend of mine asked me if I saw things differently out of each eye. I said "yes" and that I saw polka dots out of one eye and stripes out of the other. Noah just thinks they're weird and says so often. I happen to think we're very fortunately unique, don't you, Merritt?

merritt said...

HAH! Katie, I can totally see you telling someone in all seriousness that you see polka dots out of one eye! That's hilarious!

I think your eye color is more noticeable than mine, though, since one is brown. It's my pupils that cause people to notice my eyes are freakish and then they finally notice the color is different!
But I'd agree that we are unique to have different colored eyes. There aren't tons of people who can claim that.