Monday, March 26, 2007

Fredericksburg continued: The Scenic Route

Yesterday morning we went to Enchanted Rock, which is a state park full of granite rocks. It's about 17 mis north of FBG, and often so many people go that the park must shut down by 11am for lack of parking! We were glad for the overcast skies, though once on the top, the high wind and raindrops made it seem awfully cool! The views of the countryside were very beautiful. It is definitely atypical of what you would picture in Texas landscape.



We took the scenic road back, winding through the one-lane ranch roads full of roaming cattle and horses! Our route included the Willow City Loop, which is known for the wildflowers. There weren't tons out in the FBG area, actually, and we saw better patches between Houston and Austin. Oh well--the drive was still pretty!

This was by far my favorite activity we have done in Texas since living here! If you have the chance, go to Fredericksburg.

4 comments:

Alicia said...

Enchanted Rock...yep went here on field trips. My hometown is actually Bulverde, Texas. Do you know where that is (its between New Braunfels and Boerne). Well anyways...the hill country is where I am from technically. SO yep..these pics look like my backyard.

We will just have to tag team. I will enjoy texas for you when you leave and I am back!

merritt said...

Oh, yeah, Bulverde. Fun! I just love those hills! I suppose VA will have them, but...it's not the same!

Ever been out to San Angelo?

You'll probably get to Texas right as we leave in August. I'll make a list of the places we didn't get to visit so you can enjoy for us and blog! =)

Kelley C said...

Was this one of your 1000 things?

merritt said...

Yes, it was! Wohoo!