Thursday, December 07, 2006

Pearl Harbor

December 7th, 1941, a date which will live in infamy.

In the sixth grade, I wrote a research paper on the attack of Pearl Harbor. A friend of my dad gave me a book about Pearl Harbor to use; I vividly remember the picture at the right, as it seemed like such a testament that this historical thing truly did happen and there's a boat on the ocean floor as a result. Mitsuo Fuchida is the name that I remember most, as he was the Japanese commander who led the first attacks with his war cry of "Tora! Tora! Tora!". His story truly intrigues me, though, because later in life he became a Christian evangelist across the Orient. Go here for an excerpt from his book, where he talks about the morning of Dec 7th and of his conversion 9 years later.

After writing that paper, I made it a goal to one day visit the USS Arizona Memorial. I feel so blessed since I've had the opportunity to do that several times already. It's really one of the most amazing places.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had never read Fuchido's testimony. Quite a story. Thanks for posting it.

That photo from Hawaii is three years old now isn't it??
Amazing!
Love,

merritt said...

Pretty cool, isn't it?

Three years, yes. Better get to planning another trip soon so I can update the family photos!