Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Taj Mahal and Red Fort

It means “Crown Palace”. Did you know that? The dude built it to memorialize his favorite dead wife (yes, that means he had more than one). He had plans to build an identical one in black onyx across the river for himself, but his youngest son threw him into prison. That put a kink in the building plans. The Taj is beautiful. When asked what our favorite experience about India was, how can we not say the Taj Mahal? It truly is breathtaking.

Everything on the grounds is exactly symmetrical. Besides the Taj itself, there are beautiful gardens, a mosque, and some other building I can’t remember. The detailing on the walls, including the flowers and the chapters from the Quran are completely inlaid. And the whole thing is marble! It’s amazing! We had perfect weather, and I dreamed of spending a whole day there, just sitting for a picnic, playing Frisbee, and enjoying the miraculous view. I told Brett that I expect some equal type of extravagance in my memory some day! =)

So, back to being in prison: the Red Fort is where the ruler was kept imprisoned. The buildings are made of sandstone and marble. The floorplans are open and very Arabic; I envision long, flowing, colorful fabrics draped from the ceilings with candlesticks glowing, reflecting the diamonds that used to be on the bedroom walls in parts of the fort. Many parts and the area in which the ruler was imprisoned face the Taj Mahal. I wouldn’t mind being in that prison, because it truly wasn’t a cell in a basement, but was an entire area of the fort. (balconies, gazebo, marble, and all) The painful part, though, was that he always looked toward the Taj Mahal and the foundation of his own black replica, knowing it would never be completed.

The photos are my favorites from the day in Agra. Next came Jaipur.

6 comments:

Kelley C said...

Yea! You posted. India is missing you :(

merritt said...

Finally, I know! Our internet was down all day yesterday. I commented how ironic it was that our internet access was better in India!

Alicia said...

so...how do you change your comment thing?! I really want to copy cat you and I can't figuire it out. Sad. Can you help?

By the way, it was absolutely WONDERFUL to finally meet you!! It's great to get to know people that are so special to the Caskey's. I had a lot of fun getting to know you in those short 3 hours or so!! Hopefully I will run into you again one day. Enjoy Texas for me!!

Tracy Larson said...

WOW about sums it up! What an amazing adventure! Your Taj Mahal pictures look like professional postcards- I can't believe you were there! Can't wait to hear all about it, Brett.

Merritt, I thought from one of the tiny pictures that you'd somehow gotten Brett to carry Kiran in a Baby Bjorn and was quite impressed, but alas upon closer inspection in the slide show, it was just a backpack! Oh well ;)

merritt said...

Tracy, that wasn't just any backpack; that was the diaper bag! =) He's great with Kiran and held her all the time, actually; probably more than me!! I'll find a pic for you...

Kelley C said...

I have to say Brett did volunteer to "wear the baby" but I don't think we ever actually did it. Kiran would have loved that...she missed her buddies so much she got a fever right after you left.