Sunday, June 10, 2007

Jesus Christ, Superstar

This production ranks as one of the best selling and most popular. And last nite, Brett and I went with Charlie and Jo to see it at an outdoor theatre. If you aren't familiar with it, this "rock opera" depicts that last 6 days of Jesus' life, focusing mainly on the relationship between Judas and Jesus.

After the show, we all decided that we didn't really like it. Brett and I didn't think the music was fabulous, for one, especially since sometimes it was hard to understand the words at times. I also thought that it didn't flow or agree like I expected. Overall, it was very serious, but then there is a scene in which Herod comes out and is comedic and sings a number with his can-can girls. Also, throughout the show, the characters are dressed in attire appropriate for the day; yet toward the end, Judas comes out wearing sunglasses and a sparkly robe. And then, of course, there is the whole issue of Mary Magdalene being more than just a follower of Christ.

We were glad to have seen it, since we've always heard about it. And I really do love going to see plays, so that part was fun. Beforehand, we had a great dinner out on a patio, overlooking perfectly green fields. And the family time was fun! But, our review is that it's not really something we'd go to again or recommend to others.

If you've seen it, I'd love to hear your opinions!

2 comments:

Kelley C said...

Try not to get worried
Try not to turn on to
Problems that upset you
Well, don't you know
Everything's all right
Yes, Everything's fine

I don't remember much about the show but i did go through a phase in 8th grade where I sang Everything's All Right for weeks on end...

merritt said...

Reminds me of sophomore year when you sand "Rent" all the time!