Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day! (and other stuff)

I don't want to sound snobby, but I have the best dad in the world. Really. A couple weeks ago he asked me to give him a list of ways he could have done a better job as a dad. He and my mom are doing a parenting series for the young couples in their Bible study, and the couples wanted to know what we thought of mom and dad as parents. The reason I never got back to him is because I couldn't come up with anything he should have done differently. I love the way he raised me. I know I'm the only girl in the family so that means I am automatically a "daddy's girl", but I think he struck the perfect balance between giving me that love and making me learn responsibility. I turned out pretty great, don't you think? =)

And I love that every Thursday I get to call Dad. All the nurses at his office know exactly who I am when I call and they immediately pull him out of the room with his patients because they know this is "our thing". It's been going on for about the last 8 years, and it's a highlight of every week.

So, thanks to my Dad for being the most wonderful in the world!


Since it's Father's Day, I also want to give due credit to my hubby's dad. If I didn't have my dad, he'd be my second choice. The Lord really blessed me with such great in-laws. I love that Charlie is incredibly hospitable, generous, and caring. He immediately drops anything to talk or help not only Brett, but me too! And I must give him props for raising such a great son. He doesn't like to take credit for it, but I know that Brett learned so many of his wonderful traits from his dad. I see Charlie in Brett all the time, and it's not scary; it's a compliment!


Lastly, Happy Anniversary to Charlie and Jo! They are celebrating their 29th anniversary today! We both hope it's wonderful!

7 comments:

Erin said...

Hey Merritt!

This has nothing to do with your dad...but I'm sure he's great. I wanted to tell you that today I found a book called "1000 Places to see in the USA/Canada Before you Die". It is the same as the other regular one - it looks the same except it has a blue cover. Just thought you might want to check it out....I like it because I've done a higher percentage of these 1000 than the regular ones! Enjoy! :)

merritt said...

Hiya, Erin! You are summer break yet?

I saw that 1000 Places book a couple of weeks ago while at Borders! Did you get it? I didn't, but looked through to see what other places were included. A lot more in Texas. Virginia, too. May have to invest in that one since I'm more likely to get those complete before the rest of the world!

Erin said...

Yep, I'm actually in Siesta Key, FL on a vacation with all my friends from college this week! We are in during a storm now....but it's been a great start to my summer break! When are you guys moving up to VA?

Yes, I bought it - I tried to fight the urge, but didn't. There are lots of things in VA that I'm sure you could squeeze in when you get up there! It's such fun! :)

Anonymous said...

Dig me - I'm a nonlurker now. Having my own blog has reformed me, I think. I also think I'm going to buy the book Erin recommended - I'm totally interested!

merritt said...

YAY for delurking! So, LP, does that mean you are gonna make the blog public? If so, maybe I can start a blog roll on my site. I need more friends with blogs in order to have one!

I think the 1000 Places people should give me a cut of all their books bought, since clearly, I've gotten the entire world buying them! Don't you agree?

Anonymous said...

I totally agree that you should get a cut...and then you can take me to the DR with you! I'm with you on LOVING the "you have a comment" e-mails from my blog...but I wish I could also get them when I write on someone else's blog and they write back. Wouldn't that be nice...

merritt said...

I agree: it would be nice to know when someone has commented back! You should invent that, LP, and then you'd be famous. Bloggers across the world would call out your name!