Thursday, June 21, 2007

Happy Summer!

Today is the official start of summer! I can't decide if I should "yay" or "ugh"!

You know it's Summer in Texas when...
-you no longer associate bridges (or rivers) with water (ironically, it's been raining lots!)
-you can make instant sun tea
-you learn that a seat belt makes a pretty good branding iron
-you get a sunburn through your tinted car windows
-no one would dream of putting vinyl upholstery in a car or not having air conditioning
-you break a sweat the instant you step outside...at 7:30 a.m.before work
-the temperature drops below 90 & you feel a bit chilly
-you find out that it takes only 2 fingers to drive your car since the steering wheel is so hot
-sunscreen with SPF less than 50 is called "hand cream"
-you notice the best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance
-it's noon in July, kids are on summer vacation, and not one person is out on the streets
-you burn your hand opening the car door
-your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and cook to death?"

5 comments:

Brett said...

These are great. So many perfectly describe Houston. For example, you have to cut through the humidity to get the car in the morning. You DO instantly sweat when you go outside. And nobody is ever on the streets of downtown Houston. Why? City planners were smart and built this huge labyrinth of tunnels that have restaurants and such. So nobody walks above ground here, they are all underground.

I was at Richie's bachelor party a few weeks ago on the Chesapeake Bay, and it was only like 85 out, and I had this jacket on. Everyone was like 'Dude, why are you wearing a jacket?' And I was like, 'Dude, this is cold for me!'

EMU said...

Should I spoil your post by telling everyone that this spring/summer has been extremely cool for Texas? At least in Austin, anyway. ;) We're loving it!

merritt said...

Well, this is our first Houston summer, so all we can compare it to is VA!

I think our temps have been a bit cooler because of the clouds and rain but the humidity has been atrocious, which makes it seem much hotter.

I don't know anyone who enjoys Houston summers. West Texas summers are just plain hot. I loved those!

Anonymous said...

I like the part about worrying about getting knocked out and cooked on the pavement. That would totally happen to me.

merritt said...

What's ironic about the bike thing is that I just found out today that my older brother Mike crashed on his bike and it's TOTALED! The other guy involved broke a couple of ribs and is having a pin put in his leg! Mike just has lots of scratched and huge bruises. And now he needs a new bike.