Saturday, September 23, 2006

The Menil Collection

Brett and I have a book called 1000 Places to See Before You Die. We've begun to mark all the places that we have seen together, and today we accomplished one more!

There are about 5 places listed in Texas, and in Houston, the book suggests the Menil Collection. It's noted for being one of the greatest surrealism collections, but it also includes a number of artifacts from the Byzantine Era, some dating back to 2000 B.C.

Charlie, Jo, Brett, and I enjoyed getting a little culture and are excited to say now we have less than 1000 places to go!

7 comments:

Kelley C said...

how many of the 1000 places have you seen? and which ones?

merritt said...

We've never counted, but it's not that many. I allowed us to mark our foreign study ventures even though we didn't do those together. Ones we have done together include: DC Smithsonians, Biltmore House, NYC (several there), London, Charleston, SC; Vail, Oahu...a few more. I'buy you a copy since you guys could mark some really cool ones!

Kelley C said...

I was going to ask if you had to do it together... i'm betting maybe the Taj Mahal is one? Cause you'll get to mark that one off in about 3 months and 4 weeks. I would love to see what is listed in that book.

merritt said...

Don't have to be together. The start date was Fall 2001.
It's interesting. In some places, they have things that we haven't been to. The Bahamas, for instance, don't list where we've been but other places.
I have a copy to put in a package for you, so you'll see all the places!

Kelley C said...

and that is why you are my favorite :)

merritt said...

Well, I do what I can! =) I've found that sending mail is the way to Kelley's heart! hehe!

Kelley C said...

I think receiving mail is my love language